Saturday, September 23, 2006

Why I'm not discussing Jason Fortuny.

Since September 8th a lot of fuss has been made about Jason Fortuny's "Craigslist Experiment". He posted an ad on Craigslist, posing as a submissive female, and then republished, in full, complete with personal details, all the replies he got. Understandably, many people felt this was somewhat sociopathic. I haven't linked to it, because I think the people that replied to his ad, deserve whatever is left of their privacy.
Then on September 13th, The Smoking Gun published mugshots of women who were arrested for soliciting using Craiglist Philadephia. I'm not linking to that either, because they deserve their privacy too.
So my point here, is that there is an incredible double standard at work. Prostitution is illegal in Philadelphia, but the sex acts Jason Fortuny was suggesting are also illegal in several states. I personally don't think there's anything inherently immoral about selling your body. So I guess this whole debacle has made me reconsider The Smoking Gun. It started out as a pioneering crusade to publicise accessible official documents, but now too often it's merely providing titillation. I'm going to censor myself, by not reading it anymore.

Tags: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]