Monday, July 10, 2006

The Genius of Zizou

"And this desire never to stop fighting is something else I learnt in the place where I grew up."
I'm quoting Zidane way out of context, but to me, his willingness to headbutt Materazzi makes him more of a hero, not less. Admittedly, since France went on to lose, he's something of a tragic hero, but a hero none-the-less. If someone insulted my race, or my religion (if I had one), I wish I'd be as ready to attack them, no matter what the circumstances. Zidane's action highlights for the world the fact that the racial unity of France is more important than winning the World Cup. To quote from Gary Younge:
"In any case, if winning the World Cup every eight years is what black people have to do to prove their worth to a country then we're all in more trouble than we thought."
As Zidane exits the pitch for the last time, he's reminded us that he means more to France than just being a great footballer.

Tags: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]