Sunday, March 19, 2006

Makin' Bacon

I've spent most of the day being enterprising with odd bits of pork. I purchased an entire pig back from The Ginger Pig. The main meaty part would correspond to filet on a cow. I am curing that bit (pictured) with the intention of making smoked back bacon. I used a recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, whose gung-ho enthusiasm for home made charcuterie makes you forget all your fears of botulism. When you buy a pig back you get the back ribs and the spine thrown in for free. I am sugar curing the ribs, in order to have gooey BBQ spare ribs tonight, and the spine has gone into a delicious pork stock. It's plainly my least vegetarian day ever.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]