Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Some words that I intend to use more of:
Having a day off is such an unabashed luxury. I spent most of the morning (when not preparing slides, see below) getting stuck into David Foster Wallace's book of essays A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. I particularly liked his long ultra-pomo backstage tour of the set of Lost Highway. DFW is a huge David Lynch fan. He's also a compulsive sesquipedalian. From this morning's readings, I picked up some words that I really ought to use more, if only to seem cleverer:
iamb, crepuscular (one I always forget), weltschmerzian, Kafkan (so much rarer than Kafkaesque), scotophilic (a darker sort of crepuscular), hypotenal (practically a neologism), miscegenation, and heirophantic.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]