Thursday, August 11, 2005

The 3 Funniest Things Said At My Grandmother's Funeral
My grandmother's funeral was held today. Along with my brother, my uncle, and my three male maternal first cousins, we carried her coffin from her house to her church. The service was devastatingly sad, and I'll miss her forever. However the day was enlivened by some hilarious Lancashire wit and wisdom from the assorted mourners. In reverse order of wackiness:

"The brain is the largest muscle in the body, and probably the most intelligent."

"I'll not say goodbye to your father; I've never liked his books anyway."

"Your clearly not as bright as your brother, since your grandmother never had a nice thing to say about you." (Said to my brother, in my presence.)

My parents were married in the same church where the funeral was held. On that auspicious day back in 1973, one of the elderly uncles took my father aside to say:

"I married into this damn family 32 years ago, and I've regretted it every day since."

Is the whole north of England so brilliantly inappropriate, or is it just one small corner of Whalley?


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]