Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Now who's got the funnest desktop bitch?
I installed OSX Tiger last night on my achingly old slow iMac DV. There were some relatively minor initial gripes. It took about two hours to install, during which time I fell asleep; it then woke me up at 3 a.m. with a blaring "Intro to Tiger" movie. I then discovered that due to various odd conflicts the computer would no longer shutdown. That's now resolved. I've been exploring, and for £89 I seriously wouldn't recommend you bother with the upgrade. The Spotlight search feature does what Google Desktop does, Automator does what AppleScript already did, and Safari now has RSS. Woohoo (sarcasm alert)! However Widgets, (despite being a direct steal from Konfabulator) are kinda fun. As pictured you can see my one-click desktop access to: my address book, the time, a map of the lit portion of the globe, a calculator, misspelled ebay auctions, a hula girl, free web games, a webcam view of Abbey Road, Amazon searching, Wikipedia searching, Dictionary.com searching, online translation services, weather forecasts, a magic 8-ball. Su Doku, a crossword solver, space telescope images, the US National Security threat level, a flower pot that represents my Gmail inbox, and best of all a feed of new widgets for download. So much widgety goodness.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]