Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Harajuku to Islington by sea.
Maybe not everyone is quite so drawn by the consumerist society as me. Ever since I got my first paycheck as a waiter, I've been buying myself undeserved presents over the web. At first it might have been just little treats to brighten a dull winter day. Bit by bit though I've been buying myself bigger and bigger things with more and more disregard for my overdraft.
Eventually I had come to believe that it didn't really matter what I bought, I could never sate that consumerist angst. My DVD collection could never be large enough, I could never have "too many" gadgets, and without doubt Nike's propensity to make new sneakers would always exceed my capacity to buy them.
Today though I've broken through the "glass ceiling" of consumer bliss. My package from Rinkya finally arrived. It's been journeying by sea freight from Honshu over the last two months. It arrived today in a box belonging to the Yamato Transport Company. The box is slightly sodden with what appears to be sea water, and the inside is stuffed with Japanese newspapers. The booty though, is three pairs of DS, Japanese only release Nike Air Wovens.
Never has delayed gratification been so sweet. To celebrate, I created a Harajuku to Islington fly-by using the newly released Google Earth. Viewing the epic journey my precious sneakers have made, has only added to the petit mort .

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]