Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Cool Nina is doing a project on blogging for her journalism course. She mailed round a little blogging questionnaire, and I though my answers were worth re-circulating. If you'd like to fill out her questionnaire, I'm sure she'd love to hear from you at coolnina97 at yahoo.co.uk.

1. Your name:
Rufus

2. Your blog name:
That's How It Happened / howithappened.com

3. How would you describe your blog:
A vaguely pop-cultural blog that alternates between linkblog and more personal posts.

4. When did you first create it:
October 2003

5. How often do you write on it:
Between once and 5 times almost every day.

6. Why did you create a blog in the first place:
I thought I would be happier writing every day, when I was doing a very uncreative job. I also had a desire to track my websurfing over time, and to keep a very loose diary/photo repository for posterity.

7. What keeps you writing for it:
Vanity, boredom at work, and because I feel less included in the online world without my own website.

8. If you know - how many people read your blog (on average) a day - stats on countries would be useful, but not essential:
Approx 1000 visitors per day (31k this month). Seemingly about 50% are there on purpose, and the rest arriving from random web searches. The majority (54%) are from the USA, with about 20% UK, and the rest spread to ever other conceivable country. (Though no Antarticans yet!)

9. Who do you think your readers mainly are (a description of interests would be fine):
Absolutely diverse. Beekeepers, trainer freaks, nerds, I'm not sure how they differ from other blogosphere types, or from me for that matter.

10. Why do you think they read your blog:
No clue.

11. Do you read any blogs yourself, and if so, which ones:
Mostly this season I will be reading boingboing.net kottke.org waxy.org fimoculous.com catchdubs.com slamxhype.blogspot.com freshnessmag.com beinghunted.com, plus friends blogs. The list evolves all the time.

12. What do you think makes a good/readable blog:
Frequent short posts, so there's always new content. A mix of good links and fresh "primary" content.

13. Which blogs do you think are crap, and if so why:
I hAtE sInGaPOreaN GiRl DiAry BLoGs WhiCH R IllItErAtE.

14. Who'se blog would you most like to read - a kind of wishful thinking question - in terms of if everyone had one etc:
Wes Anderson, Pope Benny, Hiroshi Fujiwara (who has a blog, but only in Japanese)

15. Why do you think blogs originated and have become so prolific:
Because everyone likes to feel a little bit famous.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]