Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Some Recent or Soon To Be Released Albums Reviewed, Briefly.

Beck - Guero 7/10
My cassingle of "Loser" is a treasured reminder of early miserable teenage years. Despite this I haven't really liked Beck since his "Odelay" album. This album is better than recent offerings, but only the "Girl" single recaptures his old greatness.

Faithless - Forever Faithless 8/10
I haven't yet managed to listen past "Insomnia" and "God is a DJ", because they're so awesome. I suspect the rest of the album is mediocre, but I'm loving what I heard so far. Truly anthemic.

Vitalic - OK Cowboy 4/10
This has had endless great reviews, but I swear it's not even worth the bandwidth it took to download it. Absolutely derivative samey techno tripe.

Gorillaz - Demon Days 8/10
Dangermouse Vs Albarn is really good. Nothing quite as infectious as the debut single, but deeply rewarding none-the-less. I have a sneaky feeling that by christmas this might have grown into my album of the year.

Common - Be 6/10
This is really flat, plain, almost beige, hip hop. It needs some extra super-producing. The beats really don't grab the attention. I guess I need to give it time, and concentrate on the lyrics. Right now it's being overshadowed on my playlist by all the other good records.

White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan 9/10
I'm not a huge Stripes fan, and some of this sounds suspiciously like Seven Nation Army remixed. But it's brilliantly crafted stuff. I'm loving every strange organ noodle, breathy curse, and punchy catchy snare. Album of the month!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]