Monday, May 02, 2005

I think I've discovered the world's worst food. Previously I considered doogh, to be the worst food ever. That's salty milk, laced with pennyroyal, which is an abortifacient. It gets served to school children in Iran, presumably to stop them bearing illegimate children.
Now though I've had two opportunities to try salted fermented squid guts. It's on the menu at Soho Japan, and it is truly nauseating. They serve it as little pate-like slices of squid guts, delicately chopped over squid sashimi. The sashimi is delicious, but the guts are awful. Apparently it literally is squid entrails, left out for three weeks to putrefy, then salted.
I can't describe the horribleness of the dish. It's utterly vile. The trouble is, having survived it twice, I feel compelled to go back for more.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]