Monday, February 07, 2005

Knitting...possibly less cool than you'd think.
Contrary to what The Guardian recently claimed, I haven't taken up knitting in order to support the War On Terror™. Nor as (the doubtless ficticiously monikered) Afi-Odelia E. Scruggs suggests, do I find that knitting allows me a "conscious retreat, to contact my inner divine presence".
Instead I find that knitting allows me the luxury of a rather fetching sheep's wool scarf, ingeniously crafted with diagonal stripes. If there's any political/spiritual aspect to my knitting, it's that I feel rather smug, having reclaimed a traditionally female craft as a vaguely legitimate male pursuit. Apparently Larry Fishburne, is with me on this point.
My recommended knitting resources? Knitty.com (home of the knitted uterus doll), the Stitch 'N' Bitch Handbook, and some nice yarn from the friendly people at Rowan.
Rest assured this is not about to become a Knitblog.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]