Tuesday, November 16, 2004

I'm usually not a freeform kind of traveller. If I'm hitting a new place, I'm not inclined to just roam, I'd rather follow the Lonely Planet herd to all the must-see destinations. In the case of Japan though, I might as well throw out the guidebooks. I'm flying out to Tokyo next Monday, and I have a stack of pre-planned activities:
1. Stay in the Park Hyatt, Bob and Charlotte style.
2. Buy trainers. This is a no-brainer.
3. Play pachinko (though sadly not Hitler Pachinko).
4. Eat fugu, live to tell about it.
5. Visit the fish market.
6. Bathe with snow monkeys. (Does Japan have rabies?)
7. Smuggle home a breeding pair of giant stag beetles.
8. Check out some Edo era bonsai, maybe in a zen garden.
9. See sumo live, either human or robotic.
10. Ride the shinkansen.
On reviewing the list, I realised that I may be trying to confirm all my gaijin misconceptions about Japanese culture. I know plenty of readers must have been to Japan. So this is a call for suggestions for more authentic Japanese experiences.

  • Things To Make And Do is a how-to of various dangerous projects from a pro-SFX electrician. My favourite is the exploding Smarties: "Only Smarties have the answer?...well answer this you bastards".
  • ODB remains (no pun intended) controversial as ever: 13 children, or merely 7. (Though one child is called "God Ason Jones".)
  • Pop culture overload as David Hasslehoff, Scarlett Johansson, and SpongeBob all sighted in same photo.
  • Text on things, is pure parsimonious pleasure.
  • InsBot looks a bit sucky, but actually he's a laser wielding cockroach spy, who'll save humanity from roach domination. (via Rise of the Machines™)
  • Hammered is a flash hammer sim, complete with bruised thumbs and comedic Scottish accents. Top score for me is £75.13.
  • I'd like to see "the greatest eater ever to live upon planet earth" tackle the new Hardees Monster Thickburger. (Actually I'd also like to see the appropriately named Shawna Getzinger, from Playboy's Women of McD's feature.)
  • iEatBrainz deserves an award for the best named, most useful bit of freeware ever.
  • And finally a rare picture of the lost legendary Gatherer Dunk, from Sneaker Freaker.

  • Comments: Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Subscribe to Posts [Atom]