Sunday, October 03, 2004

My Adventures On The Gay Scene
I never would have guessed that I'd ever review a gay bar in a public forum. But here goes. I suppose you can either assume that I'm incredibly secure in my heterosexuality, or that I'm an entirely closeted bisexual. Anyway twice in recent weeks I've accompanied friends to newly opened gay bars. Shaun & Joe, just off Charing Cross Road serves good cocktails, but otherwise hardy deserves a mention. Too 2 Much on the other hand is utterly fabulous (from a straight perspective obviously.) It occupies the premises that until recently were Raymond's Revue Bar. In a highly ironic interior design twist, nothing much has changed. The walls are still clad in seedy red velvet, there are still poles either side of the seating areas, and as the vampy waitress whispered to us, "the chandelier used to belong to Hitler". It's all super-campy kitsch fun. We were entertained by breakdancers, goth pole dancers, and an assortment of intimidating drag queens. The cocktails were top notch, (with the exception of a "Blue Cheese Martini"); the music was dire euro-house; and the waitresses are really cute and entirely underdressed. In fact it's such an amusing place that it almost risks being reclaimed by straight club-goers. Perhaps trying to prevent the hetero take-over, they've hired a hilarious leather fetish doorman. Too 2 Much thus has my seal of approval. It's the best bar to open in London since Loungelover.

Perhaps because of the hang-over from too many Lemongrass Collinses, I've run out of links today. Despite nigh on a thousand visitors last week, none of you ever seem to want to leave comments. Thus today I'm inviting everyone to submit their favourite links via the comments. Don't mind if it's your own site, or something really trivial. Just curious what you'll all suggest:

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]