Saturday, September 11, 2004

My sidebar is profoundly sick...
...and is not entirely expected to recover. When I started this blog , oh a good 10 months ago, I expected to be riding the crest of a wave of micro-journalism. I thought I would be immediately entrenched in a community of like minded narcissists and self-publicists. From the outset I have had a little panel of links to "Friends" blogs, including only those I have actually met in person. Now 10 months later the list has hardly grown. Despite the fact that Technorati is now tracking 4 times as many blogs as it was last year, no-one I know has started a website. And of those in my "Friends" list, something is seriously amiss.
While The Ambassador, and CoolNina are still actually updating, all the others have fallen prey to broken servers and apathy. (And I feel for their tech headaches having suffered an outage all week, heck amazon crashed this morning.) Tartley even boasts of "recent photos", having not updated since March. Of 10 on the list, just 2 could still be considered to be blogging. And of the 90 odd other people on my Sim card, only a handful even bother to maintain one of those "homepage" things that went out of fashion in 1998. (Though of particular note is Matt B-M who at the cleverly titled Colondot.net, points out that his "life revolves around electrical appliances". Here's hoping it's not a Toolbox F*cking Machine hey Matt.)
Was it so naive to think I would become a clever little Kottke, with a blogging GF like Megnut? Instead of being the centre of an online social whirl I feel like the last practitioner of an unfashionable hobby. I expect that no-one will hear my rallying cry, not even the GF, but I wish more people felt like they had something worth saying.
  • Brandalism = vandalism + branding, e.g. Above who likes to paint arrows.

  • You know those hot Elle McPherson ads, with the naked chicks, the knives, and the attack eagles? Yeah they're hot, and they're online. (with bonus deleted scenes).

  • An eBay scammer double-scammed in the tale of the p-p-p-powerbook.

  • The customisation game comes to snowboard boots with JB x Ride.

  • Chair surfing is the new extreme ironing, or something, yeah, the new something.

  • Craigslist classic: hood humping.

  • Comments: Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Subscribe to Posts [Atom]