Monday, June 14, 2004

This weekend I achieved an incredible victory over my father. I have won a battle of the inner mind that strikes deep into the heart of our (entirely affectionate) relationship.
On each and every occasion when we play Scrabble™ he berates me for playing unusual two letter words. He repeatedly insists that despite their inclusion in Chambers, "zo", "qi", "xu" and their ilk are not actual words; and he frequently implies that only a mendicant or a cheat would try to play them.
However unfortunately for him, his lexicographic standards have been breached. In a published work on Sunday, both in print, and on the web, he has used the word "né". Enjoy his article describing a recent meeting with John Updike, but pay particular attention to the penultimate sentence.
I am now looking forward with glee to our next game. He has mistakenly declared open season on the play of two letter words, and I shall delight in placing "aa", "gu", and "oo".

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]