Sunday, June 20, 2004

Linklater the Pinball Wizard
Feeling the buzz for the upcoming Before Sunset, I re-watched Before Sunrise this weekend. I hadn't seen it ever since its release, and somehow my fond nostalgia for it wasn't entirely justified. I did however notice a scene where Ethan Hawke and Julie Delphy trade stories about past lovers while duelling over a pinball machine. This is definitely not the only Linklater movie featuring pinball:
There are a stack of pinball tables seen at the Emporium in Dazed and Confused, at least one of which Richard Linklater probably owns, because it is the same table he plays in Waking Life. In the final scene he himself delivers this concluding dialogue (about Phillip K Dick in part), all the while playing pinball. Recently Erik Davis noted that Linklater's house was a: "pine-forested getaway pad outside of Austin, which features a pagoda, a huge stone tower, and many pinball machines". I think a picture of a man after my own heart is emerging.
I don't have the time to rewatch Slacker or School of Rock right now, and I don't have the inclination to see some of his other dross. (He's more inconsistent than any living director). I feel sure though that pinball tables sneak into a few of his other flicks. Any submissions more than welcome via the "comments".

  • The latest Iraq scandal:
    "...weapons experts acting on U.S. intelligence scrambled to search chicken coops for missiles that were not there. "We inspected a lot of chicken farms," said a former inspector who asked not to be identified because he now works with U.S. intelligence. His U.N. team printed "Ballistic Chicken Farm Inspection Team" on 20 gray T-shirts to mark the futile hunt"
    Read more from the LA Times (login:nopass username:nopass), or now thanks to the entrepreneurship of Waxy Fresh you can buy the commemorative t-shirt! I don't even get a free t-shirt for this plug, let alone commission.

  • I was invited to contribute to A Picture's Worth, a collaborative project that simply: "invites people to send in photos along with a story which explains the photograph's significance". I haven't got a great photo to share right now, but anyone is free to submit, and many of the entries are really engaging.

  • I posted a new picture of my collection of wovens at niketalk. I got mostly favourable feedback, plus I discovered a new hTM Woven that had somehow escaped my notice. I must be pink/yellow colourblind.

  • One for Phil the Meleophile: Who would win? Hammerhead Shark or Badger? From a whole site of delusional animal battles.

  • Amusing pictures of David Bowie injured by a stray lollipop. You shouldn't laugh at potentially blinding accidents, but I won't be mad if you do.

  • The Beastie Boys forum has now been slashdotted, boingboinged, and memepooled because they put both evil DRM, and some kind of nutty lurkware on the new album. This promises to be a public relations disaster that will run and run.

  • Comments: Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Subscribe to Posts [Atom]