Tuesday, June 15, 2004

An Application Of Game Theory To Real Life.
This morning while returning home from a tough night shift, I encountered a challenging social trilemma, that required a rapid game theory analysis. While travelling down the Down escalator at Waterloo station, I recognised a rather winsome girl ascending the Up escalator. My immediate inclination was to duck, while fumbling with a new clip (NSFW), before I remembered that my name is not actually Carlito and shootouts in a crowded station are not my Way. Instead the girl beamed broadly at me, and then waved, forcing me to wave back. I of course had absolutely no idea of her name, or how I knew her. I quickly mentally scanned through everyone I've ever slept with, all my school year, and the people on my sim card, and concluded that the mystery stranger was probably only a casual acquaintance. With horror I then realised that she might still be expecting me to go charging back up the escalator to say "hello". The escalator is not more than a 30 second ride, but I quickly classified the possible positions in the necessary game theory analysis:
"Defensive"-Walk away swiftly and don't look back.
"Neutral"-Loiter nonchalantly at the bottom of the escalator.
"Aggressive"-Ride back up the Up escalator in anticipation of her taking the "Neutral" position.
I was just tackling the 3x3 matrix of tactics, to see if the risky "Aggressive" ploy was tenable, when I realised that the actual solution lay outside the remit of my analysis. Due to an embarrassing accident with a breakfast cheeseburger, I was covered in McDonald's ketchup. I abandoned my 2nd and 3rd order theory of mind simulations and broke for cover on the Waterloo and City platform.

  • Today's alternative career choice: becoming a micropartiologist.

  • A Scanner Darkly must be the most buzzarific flick currently in production; click to enlarge this most unusual backstage shot of Robert Downey Jnr sporting some ultra-oddball kegs, while Woody Harrelson rocks the coolest hair in history.


  • "Suppose you killed somebody...how would you dispose of the body without getting caught?", ask a stupid question, get an absolutely shockingly clinical, detailed, and seemingly practiced answer.

  • Beautiful simple 3-D tile flash game, my record is 71 moves, but much refinement possible.

  • Operation Slaps remixes the playground classic "Slaps", with an Al Quaeda training facility style, to produce the most absorbing flash game since the last link.

  • Tiny Mix Tapes not only review stuff in a snarling ironic hipster way, but will also curate themic mixtapes at your request.

  • Who would win? 1 sumo wrestler, or 11 Japanese school boys in an "Ultimate" wedgie contest. Yahoo has the answer.

  • RSPCA spoil-sports ruin Australian live mouse tail eating contest. Pommie bastards!

  • Comments: Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Subscribe to Posts [Atom]