Monday, May 17, 2004

Secret Beastie Boys Gig Review!
In great works of literature the pivotal events in life are often marked by cruel ironies. Sometimes these fictional turning points are tragicomic, sometimes bittersweet. In real life though deeply stressful life altering events are usually notably unironic in their simple harshness.
Last week's Reader Appeal for tickets to the secret Beastie Boys gig met with no success. They were in London to promote their new single Ch-Check It Out (Real Video link), playing for just 200 invited fans and press in the intimate surrounds of the ICA. By a gift from the goddess of generosity herself Annie Morris, I was placed under an alias for two spots on the guest list. Unfortunately though I was due to spend the afternoon in Eastbourne, 75 miles from central London. I was unavoidably forced to attend a work related course. When I discovered the gig was at 7pm I knew I would have a struggle on my hands to drive back into town in time. The devastatingly sad truth is, that I missed the gig entirely while stuck in traffic in Streatham. No words can convey my dejection at failing to attend my most anticipated gig of all time. Now three days later I have finally come to terms with my loss. In some small compensation though, I listened to the entire gig live via the mobile phones of Miss Morris and the GF. Thus I present, possibly as a world first, The Beastie Boys live, reviewed via mobile phone.

The gig was in the main theatre space at the ICA, more used to performance art than hip-hop excellence. The 'Boys were dressed in plain clothes, just the usual jeans and sub-ironic t-shirts. They played just 11 songs, in 40 minutes, including three from the forthcoming album "To The 5 Boroughs". (Right Right Now Now, Triple Trouble, and Ch-Check It Out). As always on the older material (Root Down, Sure Shot) the 'Boys take centre stage, however increasingly as in the classic "Three MCs and One DJ" Mixmaster Mike is the star. Gone are the days of clumsy live instruments. Now the two magic turntables of the 'Master serve as an orchestra of loops and beats. The stand out tracks for me were "So What'Cha Want" and the encore of "Intergalactic". As ever there was some half-assed banter about taking a tea break, probably repeated with nation specific modifications all across the European secret gigs. I can't help but feel that had I actually made it to the audience, instead of being trapped in my car, this would have been the gig of a lifetime.
In the meantime I will have to satisfy myself by re-listening to the gig on Radio 1 on Tuesday, and enjoying this new interview with Tim Westwood. I'm sorely tempted by the Live 105 BFD gig later this summer. It has the most incredible line up, though San Francisco is a long way to go.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]