Sunday, April 04, 2004



Who needs another amateur critic reviewing an already smash hit movie? To liven up my review of School of Rock, I've created this little banner for your (brief) enjoyment. I stole the idea from some dude named Kottke who like invented blogging or something. Anyhow, School of Rock, assuredly rocks. It's just a kid's movie, but with Linklater at the helm, and Jack Black stealing the show, it's a bundle of fun. Jack Black had the role written for him, and without him (essentially playing himself as one half of Tenacious D) the movie would be lost. But if you like chubby rock-n-roll antics, you can't fail to love this.

I hosted another poker night again on Saturday. I laboured through 8 hard hours of play, all relatively sober. I lost my £10 stake at 4am, as somnolence snatched away my razor sharp card intuition. I ought to know better than to publically promise any kind of abstinence, but I am announcing my retirement from poker, at least for a couple of months. It's just no fun grinding through hundreds of hands, of which you only see action in about a fifth, only to make an insignificant loss or profit. I have no intention of gambling my whole paycheck, and I guess I'm bored of gambling for less than minimum wage. To make matters worse, I had picked up a small supply of A+W root beer. That's like gold dust in London, available only on import from Singapore. My poker "buddies" proceeded to drain the precious cache even as they stole my stake. Tomorrow is a very significant anniversary in some circles, 10 years sans-Cobain. Take a little time to review the police records, and note that Kurt's last drink was a root beer. I feel strongly about root beer too; maybe not strongly enough to shoot myself in the head, but strongly enough to be totally narked that I invited people over to fleece me out of cash and sarsparilla roots.

My ant farm is proving a grand success. The ants seem to have settled in well. I haven't designed any challenging experiments yet, but I have made an amazing discovery: ants can walk on water! I thought this was limited to just pond-skaters, and ever since seeing Antz and A Bug's Life I figured ants lived in mortal fear of even a tiny drop of water. However the truth is my ants hop about on top of their water supply, trusting in surface tension just as I trust in parquet flooring.

Linkage:
LaMJC fresh newz about japanese toys, rare sneakers, and a chance to practice your french. (Same is true for Gunborg, but svenska can be a tad challenging.)

Excellent Pocket X-Box April fool.

Mancala Snails game, which plays no better than the lousy Nokia version (Bantumi), but looks much cuter.

Logo Guessing Game, similar to the movie poster alphabet game, but success depends on your fondness for consumer electronics.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]