Friday, April 16, 2004

One last post as guest blogger (never to be asked again, I'm sure) before I head off for the weekend. I cannot discuss the destination for reasons that can only be divulged after the visit has begun (or rather, a short while after arrival at destination has occurred). Suffice it to say that it's one of those once-in-a-lifetime mysterious opportunities that one mustn't forgoe but that with luck will be talked about until death do me part from this place (and perhaps beyond). [ I've just read over this and it's got some fairly moribund undertones - must be a field-day for some hack-quack ]

I am surprised by how little Spike Milligan is available for purchase. Wandering through various bookshops I was struck by how uncommercial it appears that he is. I found one bookshop with one copy each of his wartime biographies, and many with no books at all. Well, I try to support local bookshops wherever I can because it's incredibly important to be able to browse and peruse and get a feel for the books, but that's just plain disturbing. I ended up buying them at Amazon against my highest principles (because I didn't have the money for all of them when I bought them).

What depresses me most though is the lack of Spike's television on DVD, along indeed with other fine performances and performers from the defining era of British comedy. Some crap collection is available, but where is the Q series? It surely can't be because the BBC deleted them? Apparently only a few episodes were deleted (remember those days when storage wasn't free?) The same can be said of BBC television of all forms actually according to this chap, but it's saddening nonetheless - I mean, it's not like he's around to remake them again...

Good riddance to me. The Guest Blogger is dead! Long Live Dr. Rufus!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]