Thursday, April 15, 2004

I must have missed Dr. Rufus' public ridicule by mere moments when I checked these fine pages on Tuesday night half expecting a knuckle rapping. Believe it or not, my brain-racking has been second only to my guilt-racking on this topic (my mind feels somewhat less than razor sharp these days on account of stultifying office-work).

Turns out that I have very little that can compare with the adventurous tales of death-defying feats that were posted yesterday (though it sounds more like death was just taking a nap while Dr. R. snuck around his apartment and stole some spare scythes). Some might argue that there was just one such feat, but I'm a cautious chap ("risk averse", apparently) and I counted two that I would have considered worthy of rapidly logging in my underpants.

As part of the droll rigmarole that was the aforementioned blog-stalling work today, we discussed the apparently thorny and misunderstood issue of age of consent in the US. Not only did we realise that many Americans are unaware that there are differences state to state, but also that the rules seem more than a little geared towards confusion. They're at times so utterly complicated that even an adult must find them confusing. Pity the poor libidinous teenager or the average boy-band.

Some surprising points of note, though, include that some places (New South Wales for example) don't consider lesbians worth regulating, that some consider gay and lesbian sex acceptable at a much earlier age (13, New Mexico!), and that the US will consider it illegal even if you go abroad and break the age restrictions from your home state "for commercial sex". Then again, some places won't tolerate any sexual congress anywhere that doesn't adhere to their own rules. Fortunately, my nob dropped off a while back so I'm OK.

One final thing, related to Sneakers. I recently spent many hours looking for a size 10 pair of Diesel Vega Indigo-Blue sneaks in New York. I finally settled on a size 10.5 pair from David Z (they may the Starbucks of shoe stores, but they had the orange mocha frappuccino that I needed) which are actually quite fine, but then I was shocked an appalled to find out that Next here in the UK has blatantly ripped them off. According to my wife, this is normal practice although France has tighter laws on this kind of fashion plagiarism.

Mine (No longer Diesel's) are on the left, Next's are on the right. Note the filled eyelets (one fewer for Next), the tread and the velcro. I shall be submitting them to Private Eye...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]