Tuesday, March 02, 2004

The Oscar Night buzz has washed over me. For once Scarlett was only moderately hott, Paris did something only vaguely embarrassing, and every award went to the predicted favourites.
My weekend of Hollywood glamour kicked off with Along Came Polly which is almost uniformly execrable, excepting one incredible cameo. Hank Azaria plays a French nudist SCUBA instructor who cuckolds Ben Stiller on the first day of his honeymoon. Since Zoolander and Royal Tenebaums are both in my All-Time Movie Top Ten, I keep checking out all Ben Stiller flicks. 'Polly is just awful though, even the usually robust Phillip Seymour Hoffman puts in a flat performance.
We were treated to a rash of useless trailers to boot, including the pointless (12A) certificate Kill Bill II teaser. The cinema version of the ad for the 30th anniversary of the VW Golf is magical though. It's a triumph of time lapse, motion control and jump cuts. The three VW engineers age thirty years in thirty seconds as they alter the Golf to it's new style.
My own home cinema experience has been kaput since the first week of this blog. Excessive partying had destroyed the front speakers and the amp. Armed with a soldering iron and the Maplin catalogue I finally got my schizzle togizzle and fitted new speaker cones. It was totally easy, even for a soldering klutz like me. I matched up the new speakers with a new amp and massive subwoofer. The whole flat was thus vibrating as I enjoyed I Capture The Castle with the GF. It is officially my DVD pick 'o' the week. 100% a chick flick, but no less enjoyable for it. Somewhat lacking in explosions and gunfire with which to assess my booty shaking bass driver though.
And finally kudos to the Guardian for their Aramaic for movie goers feature. Only a few thousand people are still fluent in Aramaic. Luckily my father's friend Geza Vermes is one of them. He reports that he loathed The Passion of Christ but was delighted the Aramaic was actually authentic.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]