Saturday, March 27, 2004

If you are within reach of UK TV tomorrow night, you should be watching, I Met Osama Bin Laden. My brother researched for this documentary last year. I was delighted to have just 3 degrees of separation from OBL. The programme is pick of the week in Time Out. I shall be stuck at work again, but some kind person could Tivo it, then send it to me with the fabulously useful yousendit.com.

I have a kind of sick feeling since I saw this auction. As I predicted just three weeks ago, the London Dunk SB got released at Foot Patrol. Unfortunately for me they made it a completely secret release, no emails, no web hype, just 200 pairs arriving in store last Saturday. If you wanted a pair, you either had to wander into the store by chance on Saturday, or queue for 16 hours overnight on Sunday. It was bitterly cold, so everyone who got their pair deserves the $1000+ profit they'll make on eBay. The truth is, the actual shoe is nowhere near as chic as the Paris Dunk SB or the Tokyo Dunk SB, but by association with those trainers, and the perception by sneaker freaks that London is the centre of the known sneaker-verse, a whole lot of people are prepared to pay way way over the retail price. I only feel like I missed out financially, aesthetically the shoe reminds me of how my Adidas Gazelles looked after a particularly muddy year at the Reading Festival. (For american readers, that's a rock festival, not a literary festival, it's pronounced Redding, as in Otis; not Reading as in "for a doctorate".) One NikeTalker recounts that his kid brother christened the London SB as "the Eastenders Nike", on account of the Thames logo on the heel. I hope that damning assessment cools the hype somewhat. My own sneaker shopping has ground to a halt. Only the laser cortez has brightened my shoe closet this week.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]