Saturday, March 06, 2004

The High Line is a disused elevated railway that runs down the West Side in Manhattan. It used to carry meat from the docks to the meat packing district. Joel Sternberg wrote a beautiful book documenting the changing seasons on the High Line. Jason Kottke recently visited the line, and took some great photos, and gives some basic instructions for getting up there. On my last trip to NYC I was determined to get up there too. Lacking serious instructions I arrived in the middle of Fleet Week, and couldn't escape the crowds of sailors long enough to sneak up.

I may have managed to bag a few days snowboarding at Easter. The snow has apparently been great in the Alps. Every year I build an igloo. Usually it's an amateurish affair. However this guide adds a couple of pro techniques that may transform my snow shack into an ice palace. Spiralling the blocks up, rather than laying even rows seems a guaranteed route to stability. Also placing the igloo on very deep snow, while potentially destabilizing, might give you much greater capacity, with less backbreaking sawing. I shall report back in mid-april if the snow lasts.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]