Thursday, February 26, 2004

Almost the first shoes I ever loved were Vans Caballero Half Cabs in a natty puke colour. Practically the first stirrings of youthful rebellion in my tender heart were when I saw Mike McGill (ever wonder why they call it the MCtwist?) and Tony Hawk at the Bones Brigade Demo in 1988 at the long lamented Ladbroke Grove ramp. With this in mind I unreservedly promote Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator as my DVD pick 'o' the week. Frankly Gator was a tad before my time, all big hair and lame day-glo Vision Street Wear. However he was once the world's hottest skater, and he did get 31 years in the pen for rape and murder in the 1st. This documentary of his rather sad life isn't actually that tight. Nowhere near as good as Dogtown and Z-Boys. However it is an amazing document of late eighties, early nineties skating and fashion. The footage of Cab, Hawk, Gator, and Hosoi (also now in jail on cocaine related charges), all goofing off as kids is worth the price of the DVD alone. I don't suppose this appeals to anyone who didn't skate in the eighties, but if you did, consider this a must buy. (Or if you've signed up for MediaChest, consider it a must-borrow.)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]