Wednesday, January 28, 2004


Updates have been a little thin just recently. I've battled through high winds, snow, and a roaring hangover to bring you this little shop report.




Gloria's is London's newest sneaker boutique. It's nestled under the Old Truman Brewery, off Brick Lane.
I was underwhelmed by the design, much less glam than the cages of Foot Patrol. The shop is hung like a gallery. Lots of Jordan (the b-baller, not the "Celebrity") related artworks, and some prints from Vaughn Bode. They have a ton of Japanese toys on display too. Mostly Kubricks, including the Pantone series and the Bow Bricks, as well as a couple of Michael Lau figures. My whole attic is full of worthless Star Wars toys, so I have vowed to stay away from any more "collectable" plastic junk. I should have thought that if you're a toy-head you can probably get your fill at PlayLounge, but it does add interest to the store.




Anyhow the majority of the store is devoted to rare kicks. It's about 80% Nike. Jordans leave me cold, but they have several varieties in stock for afficionados. They have a bunch of Dunks including a few SBs, and the Mexico Dunk. The stock of AF1s was more impressive, including Chi-Towns, West Indies, and about 10 other colourways. Other highlights for me included, Safaris, Trainer 1s, and horsehair Rifts apparently called the Air Hoof Insanity.
Other merch includes ParkWalk T-Shirts, Sneaker Freaker Magazine, and an array of Vaughn Bode stuff, including Bode Bars. I guess even graffiti writers need a peanut chocolatey snack.
Overall I was slightly unimpressed. It's a bit nerdy, a bit too Shoreditch Twat. Gloria's certainly isn't London's most alluring sneaker store. However if they can maintain supplies of rare stock I'll be checking back there often enough.
PS If anyone is finding this bandwidth heavy content a strain on their browser, please complain via the comments system. In fact please comment on everything. Although my referral log paints a happy picture of flourishing micro-broadcasting, I'm starting to feel like a rather lonely life raft cut adrift on the high seas of the blogosphere.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]