Wednesday, January 14, 2004

My father's friend Charles Guggenheim got more Oscar nominations in the documentary category than anyone ever. Aged about 15, already a precocious brat, I was into Frank Lloyd Wright in a big way. When I told Charles I was going to New York and wanted to visit the Guggenheim Museum, he said to me, in a thick Ohio/New York drawl:

"Tell 'em Charlie sent ya."

That might still be the funniest thing I've ever heard. I went back to the Guggenheim last year to see Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle. It was an incredible exhibition, an absolute must see if it is ever restaged. This is a funny article comparing Cremaster 3 with Donkey Kong.

I am still into architecture and design now. If sites like Design Is Kinky are too rabidly contemporary for you, then check out Design Boom. It's chock full of great interviews, pictorial histories, and it looks lovely. I am off to see Blak Twang tonight. Trans-atlantic readers have probably missed out on Tony Rotten's brand of UK hiphop: you can catch up with a slew of videos at the official site, and this collection of MP3s.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]