Sunday, January 25, 2004




I consider myself extremely well travelled. My passport is almost out of pages, due to endless stamps and visas from obscure principalities. The map above shows the countries I have visited (in red, not green, obvs). It makes a mockery of my pretense of having seen the globe. I raise this issue, because this morning, while scurrying to work in the rain, I saw a woman carrying her Selfridge's bag on her head. When I was a kid in Swaziland this used to be commonplace. Even in metropolitan Jo'burg, african women would carry goods to and from the market balanced on their heads. Now you don't see it anywhere in southern africa. It's an outmoded tradition being replaced by motor scooters and buggies. Unreasonable as it is to protest, it's sad that modernisation wipes out local picturesque practices. I am the first to admit that I lust after Nike sneakers, Krispy Kremes, and all things Americanophile: but I do regret globalisation. Before you accuse me of loony leftism, I think Naomi Klein sucks, I love GM food, and if Vincent Gallo keeps up his support I might even turn Republican. (PS If you'd like a map like that click here, for an even fancier one try here.)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]