Tuesday, January 20, 2004



AllConsuming is a handy site that spiders blogs to extract book reviews. You can use it to see what people think of books you're reading. I was absolutely incensed by people's dimwit opinions of Nicholson Baker. In fact I am so angry about it that I refuse to even link to their low IQ blogs. As far as I am concerned Nicholson Baker is slowly building the greatest ouvre in modern fiction. Room Temperature and the Mezzanine are two of my favourite fiction works, and The Size of Thoughts is my favourite collection of essays.

Most of my current reading list came from Oxfam:
Kill, Kill, Faster, Faster Boring
The Tao of Physics Boring
The Complete Urban Farmer Excellent
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls Boring
Hip Hotels, Italy Boring

From Amazon:
The Meaning of Everything Excellent

Proportionally I've done better paying full price for new books, rather than taking a chance on a bunch of second hand rubbish that I had passed over on first publication.

The Complete Urban Farmer has my attention. It's full of esoteric 70's gardening tidbits. I don't really want to make this blog a diary of my gardening exploits; however I did plant blueberry bushes this weekend. If you too like fresh fruit in your morning yoghurt, then you can't do better than blueberries. They have a very long fruiting season, and two bushes will provide enough to eat every day. You need at least two, because they have to cross-pollinate. You need to plant them in ericaceous (acid) compost, and ensure excellent drainage, or they fall prey to rainy winters. Crocus has them available now.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]